Classroom physical activity is any physical activity done in the classroom during or between academic instruction periods and in addition to physical education and recess. Benefits include greater concentration and motivation, improved academic performance, and reduced disruptive behavior among students.
To promote classroom physical activity in schools, the CDC has released resources providing:
- A snapshot of current classroom practices
- 10 evidence-based strategies for promotion and planning
- Integration guides to help put strategies into practice
- A Classroom Physical Activity Promotion Kit with sample text and visuals for social media, newsletters, presentations, and more
- A one-pager with ideas for parents to get involved
If you work with schools or youth, click here to read more.