2/15/19 UPDATE: The FINAL results are in for the OK In the Know Advocacy Bingo Challenge.
Congratulations to the Cherokee County and Cleveland County Healthy Living Programs (HLP) for taking the top prizes in the Challenge, and many thanks to everyone who took the challenge to contact their elected officials and other local partners. Whether or not you filled out a Bingo card, these are important steps toward creating a healthier Oklahoma!
While we may work with different communities, sectors, or health topics, everyone on OK In the Know is contributing to efforts to improve Oklahomans’ health. This winter, the Advocacy Bingo Challenge makes it as fun AND as easy as checking off a Bingo card to talk about the causes and communities we care about.
This is a friendly competition open to all OK In the Know members and their partners.
You may team up with others in your office or with multiple organizations in your area (e.g. legislative district or county) to complete the actions on the board. Collaboration is encouraged!
How Do I Play?
- Click here to download the Bingo board (Word file available here!).
- Mark the spaces on the board as you complete the various action items*. Print a hard copy of the board OR cross off the items in the electronic version.
- Complete 5 actions in any one column, row, or diagonal across the board to get BINGO.
- Upload your completed BINGO board and answer at least 1 reflection question (see Bingo board) in the OK In the Know Forum.
*Note: The challenge only includes actions taken between December 2018 and February 15, 2019.
Why Should I Care?
We all share in the important task of communicating with local stakeholders about health and wellness. With more voices speaking for health, we’ll gain support for the valuable work being done, and inspire more community partners to make health improvement a priority. This amounts to progress toward a culture of wellness, and achieving a larger impact on health outcomes together – – thus creating a healthier, more prosperous future for Oklahoma.
Participate to Win Prizes and Earn NEW Achievements on OK In the Know
Everyone who has gets BINGO will be entered into a drawing for prizes generously contributed from TSET’s fulfillment center.
The achievements system on OK In the Know just got even more exciting —
- BINGO Achievement: The first users to get BINGO earn 200 points and a special badge on their profile; limit: 1 per user.
- BLACKOUT Achievement (full board): Anyone who marks every space on their board and reaches this mega achievement earns 1000 points!
What is Advocacy?
Advocacy is any action taken to publicly demonstrate support for a cause or policy, including educating stakeholders and decision makers. This is different from lobbying, which attempts to influence a legislating body or the establishment of legislation. Although lobbying is not permitted by grantees and state employees, advocacy is highly encouraged as many public health success stories are attributed to advocacy; i.e. seat belt laws, smoke-free policies, and safe drinking water, to name a few.
- If you find an action on your path to “BINGO” that falls outside of your scope of work, contact your local TSET Healthy Living Program grantee, Regional Prevention Coordinator (RPC) or PFS contractor to see if they can help you. Search the OK In the Know Member Directory or find collaborators in your area on this list.
- Find your state senator or representative here, or find other local elected officials here by entering your street address.
Reflections and Questions
As you complete the BINGO challenge, post in the OK In the Know forum to reflect on your experience or to get help with actions on the board that you may be struggling with.