Meet Charlene Shreder! Charlene’s work focuses on high risk drinking among adults, underage drinking, youth tobacco use, and adult and youth non-medical use of prescription drugs.
She’s serving as the Director for multiple grant projects (RPC, PFS and DFC) within the University of Oklahoma Southwest Prevention Center (SWPC). The OU SWPC serves ODMHSAS Region 8 which includes Cleveland and McClain Counties and has other federal level projects.
She could be your go-to gal for anything related to coalitions, youth, and the SPF (Strategic Prevention Framework). Read on to find out more about Charlene, including how she went for out a meal and ended up with a vacation!
Q & A
Q: Everyone has a story to tell! What have you done in the past?
A: Prior to coming to the University of Oklahoma Southwest Prevention Center, I was the Executive Director of a non-profit council on alcohol and drug abuse serving 23 counties in East Texas providing prevention, intervention and treatment services.
I hold a Master of Prevention Science Degree from the University of Oklahoma. I was the ODAPCA Prevention Specialist of the Year in 2015.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: I am the Director for the Regional Prevention Coordinator-Region 8 (RPC), Strategic Prevention Framework-Partnerships for Success (SPF-PFS) and the Drug Free Communities Support Program (DFC). Our priorities within these projects are high risk drinking among adults, underage drinking, youth tobacco use and both adult and youth non-medical use of prescription drugs.
Q: What are your favorite ways to use OK In the Know?
A: I would have to say my favorite ways to use OK In the Know have been to:
Ask her about..
The Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF)
- I speak fluent SPF! I find the SPF to be the center of all the work that we do at the Southwest Prevention Center and is a critical framework needed in data- driven decision-making and environmental prevention.
- Having spent most of my career working in the community sector, I have a solid understanding of communities and community groups.
- My favorite projects have been middle school summer and spring break camps. There is just something special about being in nature with teenagers for a week during the heat of summer…you learn so much about youth and yourself!
- I once won an all-expense paid trip to Italy from the Olive Garden. I entered one time…online…so real people do win those contests!
- I am a New Year’s baby…born 37 minutes after midnight. First child in a brand new year and brand new hospital…made the front page of the newspaper!
- From a BIG family– I have seven siblings-3 brothers and 4 sisters and 13 nieces and nephews.